To get a roundup of TechCrunch’s greatest and most essential tales delivered to your inbox on daily basis at 3 p.m. PDT, subscribe right here.
Good morning, you fantastic specimens of humanity! It’s Friday, and I’m penning this from the hammock in my sunny North Oakland backyard, so life ain’t all that unhealthy. (I can solely assume that WFH stands for Work From Hammock).
This weekend, earmark a little bit of time to use to our Startup Battlefield 200. It offers you the prospect to exhibit your startup totally free at TechCrunch Disrupt in October and win the $100,000 prize. Purposes shut August 5, so get cracking!
Have one, and see you subsequent week! — Haje
The TechCrunch High 3
Startups and VC
It’s all go, go, go on this planet of insurance coverage. Mary Ann stories that Lemonade acquired Metromile and promptly laid off about 20% of its workers. Is smart, after all, in a world the place there’s in all probability a good quantity of administrative and operational overlap between the 2 corporations, but it surely’s at all times unhappy to say goodbye to beloved colleagues.
And don’t miss Aria’s piece about how the Exploration Firm is creating a brand-new reusable orbital spacecraft. “The [space] exploration ecosystem goes to vary dramatically within the in all probability subsequent 10 to fifteen years,” co-founder and CEO Hélène Huby defined. “For those who make it occur, you’ve gotten an enormous benefit of being one of many first out there.”
A number of extra nuggets to take you into the weekend:
- Taking the enjoyable out of all the things: A startup is charging $1.99 to write down strings to feed into platforms like DALL-E, and I despair for humanity. Come on, that’s half the enjoyable! No thanks in any respect to Kyle for making me seethe with confused anger this afternoon. Jerk.
- Making it rain down in Africa: Zedcrest Capital, a agency recognized for its debt and fairness capital markets investments however who just lately began dabbling in enterprise investments, has launched a $10 million “emergency fund” for African startups, geared toward pre-Sequence A stage corporations, Tage stories.
- Driving classes for industrial autos: Polymath Robotics launches to convey plug-and-play autonomy software program to any industrial car, Kirsten stories.
- The extra you study: what, I’ve by no means learn one in all Devin’s articles that didn’t make me go, “Huh! I didn’t know that!” At present, Shinkei Techniques’ AI-guided fish harvesting robotic gave me that second of enjoyment.
All my apes gone: Authorized disputes on the intersection of IP and NFTs
When Andy Warhol appropriated photos of Campbell’s Soup in 1962, he was fortunate: For a bunch of causes, the corporate determined to not sue him for infringing its trademark.
One wonders how the state of affairs would have performed out 60 years later if Warhol had minted a collection of NFTs with the long-lasting soup labels, nevertheless.
In her newest TC+ put up, CORPlaw founder Kristen Corpion examined “essentially the most fascinating and essential IP authorized points which can be at present impacting the creation, switch and use of NFTs,” together with trademark infringement, the primary sale doctrine and why Seth Inexperienced ended up paying a $100,000 premium to purchase again his stolen Bored Ape.
(TechCrunch+ is our membership program, which helps founders and startup groups get forward. You may signal up right here.)
Large Tech Inc.
It’s by no means gonna provide you with up. It’ll make an effort to by no means allow you to down. It in all probability gained’t run round and desert you. However TikTok could also be contemplating a music service, report Aisha and Ivan in an article that sadly falls wanting the necessary quota of musical puns. Don’t fear, people, I’ll discuss to her about it.
In the meantime, Annie stories that Kenya is considering giving Fb a smack with the ban-hammer, after the nation’s Nationwide Cohesion and Integration Fee finds that the social media platform isn’t doing sufficient to filter hate speech.
- Is multimedia coming to Twitter?: Seems just like the social media platform is testing letting you put up photos, movies, and GIFs all in the identical tweet, Ivan stories.
- We don’t need your steeenking advertisements: Roku misses the mark on its quarterly outcomes, and blames promoting slowdown for coming up quick, Lauren stories.
- Financial institution stability goes down, shares go up: Amazon reported its earnings and ran at a $2 billion loss. Looks as if stonks love that form of factor, as a result of the share worth went up, stories Lauren.
- For you, particular worth. For you, it’s double: Twitter Blue will get a worth hike from $2.99 to $4.99 per thirty days, stories Ivan.
- The place do you’re taking somebody after a “peekaboo” accident? To ICU: Instagram just about copied BeReal for its Twin digicam function, however kinda missed the purpose alongside the way in which, Amanda explains.
- Is there something they will’t do?: Video memes, perhaps music quickly (see above) and now TikTok begins testing HTML5 minigames with a handful of companions, Sarah stories.